Office-based Environmental Policy
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
The UK office of Tikalanka, which is based within the Lake District National Park, follows a recycling, energy saving and environmentally sensitive operational policy:
- Re-use of scrap paper.
- Use of 50% recycled paper for letterheads; brochures; and all printed marketing material.
- Brochures printed on Total Chlorine-Free paper.
- 100% recycling of used paper and printer cartridges.
- Reducing the need for printed brochures by having our brochure available as a PDF document online. This also reduces the need for mailing envelopes. All future brochures will be available online only.
- Computers and accessories, including our ‘all-in-one’ multifunction printer, operate on energy saving modes and are always switched off when not in use.
- Use of low-energy office lighting (mostly LEDs), which is always switched off when not in use.
- 100% renewable energy for our electricity supply from our own off-grid small wind turbine (Evance R9000 5kW system) and solar photovoltaic array (Hyundai 4kW system).
- 100% renewable energy for our heating requirements from our wood-fired central heating kitchen range (Lohberger AC105) and wood-fired stove (Stovax View 5) as well as surplus electricity generated by our small wind turbine (Evance R9000 5kW system), which powers a 6kW water immersion heater for the underfloor central heating system.
- Preferential use of email and other internet-based technologies to reduce the amount of printed and paper-based material for correspondence and marketing purposes.